Sunday, August 05, 2012

Book haul

I'm not huge on science fiction, but I like to read books in that genre once in a while (hell, I've even written a book in that genre!). I seem to be most interested in the noirish American science fiction of the fourties, fifties and sixties and would happily say that Philip K. Dick and Alfred Bester are my two favourite SF writers. Here's a picture of the books I found at a new thrift store here in Turku, Finland (Pansio, to be exact). There were at least two boxes of old SF paperbacks for euro a piece. I snatched these, but will probably go back for more. The Elmore Leonard doesn't really belong there with the other books, but it could be the first book I'll be reading of these.

4 comments:

Todd Mason said...

I suspect you'll enjoy the Silverbergs more than most...NEW WORLDS FOR OLD isn't too shabby, but Lin Carter was not a reliable scholar, so don't rely too heavily on his intro or notes...and Miriam Allen de Ford, as you probably know, was at least as much at home in crime fiction as fantastic fiction...

Juri said...

Yeah, I suspect that as well. Haven't actually read any of Van Vogt's novels. The Miriam Allen De Ford I bought exactly for that connection.

Todd Mason said...

NEW WORLDS FOR OLD, fwiw, is definitely not sf...high fantasy.

Juri said...

Yes, I did notice that...