Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Arthur Lyons dead

American private eye writer and film noir enthusiast Arthur Lyons has died. He's one of those American crime writers who have mysteriously been untranslated in Finnish. Almost only sign of him in Finnish is the video release of Slow Burn (1986), a TV film based on one of his Jacob Asch novels (the Finnish title of the movie is also Slow Burn). I haven't seen it myself, but I've talked about it with Tapani Maskula, the Turun Sanomat movie critic and one of the best experts on American crime cinema in Finland (and maybe in the whole world as well), and he said he liked the film very much.

Here's a lengthy piece by J. Kingston Pierce at The Rap Sheet, and here's Steve Lewis and Mystery*File, providing bibliographic info.

1 comment:

smudd677 said...

I googled my dads name to see what I could find to take to the wake next week. I came across this. I wanted to say that His books where great. But the man, one of a kind.


Shannon mudd.
ms_shannon5@yahoo.com